North Hatley Library
Membership at North Hatley library opens the door to wonderful opportunities. We have a collection of 20,000 titles in French and English, with over one-third of those aimed at young readers. Our borrowing collection includes fiction and non-fiction, large print, reference, magazines, audio books, DVDs and puzzles.
We are always open to Members’ requests, and suggestions are always considered very seriously, within the confines of our budget. Our catalogue is online, and you can renew and reserve books by telephone. We also have an inter-library-loan service, allowing us to borrow from all public libraries throughout Quebec.
Your membership supports:
Besides offering reading material, the library has an active cultural presence in the community.
- The library has hosted a number of book launches and visits of authors. There are also poetry readings and music concerts as organized by local citizens.
- The library hosts art exhibits during the summer featuring local painters, potters, sculptors and photographers.
- The Christmas Art Show features local artists and craftspeople selling a wide variety of beautiful, locally produced work.
- The library regularly organizes trips to art galleries in Montreal and Quebec City for significant exhibits.
- There is a story hour in the children’s section every week during the summer.
- The Library hosts a book club which meets monthly on site, and our resources are used by at least four other local book clubs.
- A blood pressure clinic is held the first Friday of every month, with experienced health workers on site, and coffee, cookies and chat to help keep the numbers low.
- Every spring we host a number of workshops teaching Pysansky egg decorating techniques. This is very popular for young and old.
- The library is happy to host a number of community groups as a meeting place, including a writing group, a knitting group, and occasionally a hooking group.
- Two computers and a printer are also available for members, as well as wireless high speed access to the internet.
Join the Library
Anyone can join the North Hatley library, regardless of city of residence. The cost of an annual membership is $25 for an individual, $30 for a family.
To join in person just ask for an application at the front desk, and our volunteer will be happy to help you!